Yes, I’m leaving this one for the grammar freaks to fret about, punctual on punctuation as they may be.
“What ever on earth does she mean here?”
I’ve been MIA to MIA (as was marked on my luggage this past week).
You see, before last week, my brain was burnt. I decided maybe it was time to let my body get that way, instead.
Miami made for a nice brain-break.
The waters looked like the blue and green of the Caribbean this past week, and the sand looked like it was shipped down from the Gulf. (My little iPhone probably doesn’t do either of them justice.)
I actually had no plans to see those wavy waters. As it was, I received a last-minute invitation, based on bumming a portion of a hotel room from my sister, along with the use of her frequent-flyer miles. As awesome as that sounds, I still had to convince myself that our plane rides would allow for the final polishing edits of my dissertation. After much arm-twisting, I decided that was a small price to pay.
After 4 nights and 3 days:
- I accomplished the best tan I’ve had in the past 2 decades (all in the 1st day, thereafter having to hide beneath the beach umbrella each time I heard my skin sizzling like bacon);
- I unintentionally swam with 2 sharks (after which my oldest son informed me that it’s never a good idea to follow a school of interesting-looking fish who have been chased into the shallows); and
- I unabashedly looked forward to a small, delicious piece of dark chocolate snuggled up on my pillow every evening (thereafter being tucked safely in my warm tummy).
Within a couple of days of being home, I managed to:
- scrape off one side of my tan in a road rash cycling incident,
- splash around at our waterfront while cheering T as he did a triathlon (thinking maybe I could get some of my tan to come back through the scabs),
- wave goodbye to T as he hit the road for his big move, and
- finally submit my (typed) final edits to my committee.
I should mention that I only shed tears on one of those aforementioned occasions, but will leave it to you to decide upon which.
Maybe a surprise vacate does clear the mind for taking on the world once again.
Guess I’m truly not sorry I’ve been MIA.