Every day when I wake up, I open my eyes and realize I have all these doors staring back at me.
Other people call them choices or decisions. I know better.
I’d only be fooling myself to believe I have an equal amount of control over which lever I will reach to take hold, or which door through which I’ll be compelled to travel.
They’re not all alike, you know. Some are strong and sturdy, like well-crafted oak or mahogany. They come designed to impress. Whenever I knock on one on those, the announcement of my meager presence is nearly absorbed by its colossal construction and display. Why, I feel swallowed whole whenever I dare consider allowing myself the right to lurk behind any of their beings. I’m rather certain, given enough time, they probably warp and decay; but something about that troubles me too. I don’t want to stay around to see it.
Others are hollow, though seemingly encased in metal. They appear more difficult to encroach upon than, in truth, they actually are. Some of them come with intimidating messages attached, such as “Do Not Disturb.” I’ve kicked a few of them in a time or two in my life. Nothing’s all that interesting behind them.
Most days, for whatever reason or other, I’m drawn back to the revolving door. You know the one. It stands front and center, transparent, made of breakable glass. There’s no guessing what lies on the other side. And, mostly, whenever I enter it, by the end of the day, I’m just right back where I started.
My head is spinning (but not in an Exorcist sort of way), -jody
Trifecta’s got another challenge this week. This time it’s:
DOOR- but not just any old door! It has to meet the 3rd definition:
3: a means of access or participation : opportunity <opens new doors> <door to success>
- Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
- You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
- The word itself needs to be included in your response.
- You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
- Only one entry per writer.
- If you know your post does not meet the requirements of the challenge, please leave your link in the comments section, not in the linkz.
- Trifecta is open to everyone. Please join us.
- For the 14 hours following the close of the challenge, voting will be enabled on links.
- In order to vote, return to this post where stars will appear next to each link. To vote, simply click the star that corresponds with your favorite post.
- You can vote for your top three favorite posts.
- Voting is open to everyone. Encourage your friends to vote for you, if you wish, but please don’t tell them to vote on a number. The numbering of the posts changes regularly, as authors have the ability to delete their own links at any time.
- You have 14 hours to vote. It’s not much time, so be diligent! We’ll send out reminders on Twitter and Facebook.