not oft’ highly regarded
in a world of pain
she gathers the sheaves
busy in labors of love
her innocence regifted
of great worth is she
© 2013 jody love
During the first part of the month of April, Carpe Diem’s haiku prompts focus on The Zodiac. The April 1st prompt was simply on The Zodiac, in general. April 8th’s prompt takes us half-way through to – Virgo (the maiden).
The sign of Virgo is, of course, the virgin. Within her hands, she holds sheaves of wisdom.
I immediately thought of Ruth in the Bible for my depiction of this sign. Though a widow, not a virgin, she finely represents many characteristics of Virgo, using her virtuosity and wisdom in a most clever means, being loyal, patient and obedient to her mother-in-law’s instruction, thus gaining much in her new virginal beginning from Moabitess to Israelite, from widow to bride, from desolate outsider to a woman of value and means. She honors the mother of her deceased husband by following her into a strange land and caring for her. Boaz, her future husband, refers to Ruth as a woman of noble character. Others must have agreed, since she is a woman (one of the few actually listed) in both the lineage of King David and Jesus of Nazareth.
Virgos are assuredly not Ruth-less people! 😉
- Cervus lacessitus Leo (humantriumphant.wordpress.com)
- Cancer: Sign of Motherhood (humantriumphant.wordpress.com)
- Carpe Diem Haiku: Gemini (the twins) (humantriumphant.wordpress.com)
- Story of Taurus: A Full of Bull Tale told in haiku (humantriumphant.wordpress.com)
- Carpe Diem Haiku: Aries (Zodiac 1: the ram) (humantriumphant.wordpress.com)
- Carpe Diem Haiku: What month has a red herring in it? (humantriumphant.wordpress.com)